Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Current Status

I have had a lot of e-mails and phone calls wanting an update about how things were going. So, I will do the best I can to explain what has been going on.

I went in last week to have some bloodwork done because I have been having severe itching problems. Sounds funny I know, but honestly I would rather be in 100 degree heat than itching like I do. Instead I get the pleasure of both.

The bloodwork was supposed to come in on Monday. Unfortunately, the nurse did not order the correct test so they had to get another blood sample today to send out. In the meantime I have been upgraded to "high risk" and am now starting biweekly visits to the doctors. During these visits I am attached to a monitor to measure my contractions as well as Lily's heartrate and health. This is called a Nonstress test (NST). I will get an NST done on MOnday and Thursday weekly now until the bloodwork comes in.

The condition that they are testing me for is called Cholestasis (obstetric cholestasis, intrahepatic cholestasis or cholestasis of pregnancy are other names of the condition). This is a condition of the liver where basically I have an extra high level of bile acid salts. These salts are what is causing the itching itself and it is in the bloodstream not in the skin which means that nothing topical will help and nor will any kind of antihistamine.

After next week my midwife will consult with the doctor to find out when to induce. With cholestasis they like to have the baby out by 37 weeks because there is a higher incidence of stillbirth the higher the bile acids become. So, there is no set time for induction at this point but they are keeping a very close eye on me and Lily.

Today's appointment itself went well, Lily looked great and I am still measuring 2 weeks ahead which is good. I am still having quite a few contractions that are consistant but at this point they are not going to stop them. The contractions were about 5 minutes apart while I was being monitored.

Emotionally I am doing ok. I just wish I weren't itching because it makes sleeping virtually impossible. I am not too keen on being induced but I will do whatever the doctors think is best. I also am not sure I am quite ready to be in labor. Maybe if it weren't 100 degrees I wouldn't feel quite as apprehensive. I don't cope well in the heat I have found. So, there you go. Thank you so much for all your encouragement and support. It means a lot to Josh and myself and I can't believe Lily will be here soon!! (I am currently about 36 weeks pregnant)

Keep in touch, and I will continue to update how I am doing as long as I am not in the hospital in labor, then it will be Josh's job.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hi Carrie! I am a friend of Josh's. We went all through school together. I was looking at your myspace page to check in on how the little one is and decided to visit your blog page. I just wanted to write and encourage. I went through the "itchy fest" with my first baby. They ended up taking my son, Davis, 3 weeks early. All of my blood work came back fine, so I tested negative for the liver problem. My doctor said it was quite rare to have what I was going through, but that it was more common with 1st pregnancies. It was unbearable, and I spent most the nights crying and clawing my upper legs, hips, and belly to death. 3 weeks before D was born, my doctor offered an amneo to see his lungs were mature. Since they were mature I was able to go ahead and deliver, and we opted for a c-section. Davis was more than ready considering he was already 7 lbs. 13 ounces. And guess what! They were able to treat the itching with steroid cream since the baby was out, and it went away soon after delivery! The joke now is that I was "allergic" to Davis! So, I am praying I won't be "allergic" to our little bundle that's on the way! Good luck. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers! Parenthood is amazing! Can't wait for you guys to experience it!