Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sustainability

The Facts: I have lost 9 lbs in 12 days so far. I started at 258 and I weighed in this morning at 249. I am currently 5 below my pacing line which would put me about 14 days ahead of schedule.


Sustainability – being able to sustain things long term. I have went about this weight loss with a whole different mindset that I have on previous attempts. My goals was not just to lose weight (which I have done on a number of occasions), but rather it was to settle in on a somewhat normal lifestyle that would reduce my weight my “body’s natural weight” (whatever the heck that is) and then I would hopefully stay there long term. The trend of my adult life has been a slow perpetual weight gain, where I would slowly creep up to near 250 or 260, and then I would crash diet and lose 40 or so lbs and then the slow weight gain would start back up again. I knew in the back of my mind that I could not keep this pattern up long term. This time around I am searching for the new normal on food and exercise that isn’t forced, looks and feels natural and doesn’t disrupt my family. Am I there yet…no, not yet, but I am slowly finding out what works and what doesn’t.


For example: Last Thursday my dinner consisted of a Wendy’s Chili and a baked potato. I didn’t feel like it was enough calories, but I stopped there anyway. I went to bed a little hungrier than usual. The next morning I got up and I worked out, and then my normal breakfast of two eggs, cheese, black beans and salsa was not enough. That usually is enough to tide me over to my protein shake 3 hours later. But since I didn’t give myself enough calories the night before, my body burned through breakfast too fast, thus leaving me hungry again an hour or two later. It threw my whole day off since I was snacks during times I wasn’t used to.

Day 1 Day 12

Day 1 Day 12

No comments: