Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The Good:

A few months ago I bought Lily a potty for when the time came to potty train. I was fully prepared to have it packed away for awhile because I was not about to start trying to potty train her while having a newborn to deal with. Since I have bought the potty however, Lily has been incredibly intrigued by its presence. Fairly often she will point to her diaper and say, "eeewww, pee pee, pee pee" I will ask her if she wants to pee pee on the potty and she will nod vigorously. I will then pull the potty out and put her on it to witness what is to be a long sit with no success in the pee pee department. So, on Thursday when Lily came to Josh and I begging to get the potty we pulled it out, took her diaper off and let her sit on it EXCEPT this time she actually pee peed on the potty!!!! We were so shocked that I pretty much forgot the part about teaching her how to wipe. We just started doing the pee pee dance and congratulating her on her success. We also gave her a piece of chocolate which of course is a rarity in her life as a reward. YAY Lily. All arrows point to her wanting to potty train herself because I certainly have not been helping her effort.

The Bad:

Josh is finishing up grad school and today he had class in TN for the day which left Lily, Davis and I to fend for ourselves. My mom had agreed to meet up with me at the Yellow River Game Ranch which is an elaborate "petting zoo" kind of place. It has all sorts of animals: buffalo, deer, ducks, roosters, peacocks, cougars, coyotes, bobcats, donkeys, cows, goats, etc..... The deer, squirrels, chipmunks, ducks, peacocks, goats will walk up to you and pester you to feed them (some a little forcefully). Lily was not super fond of the deer and preferred to spend much of the time in the stroller where she felt safe, either that or she was being held by my mom or myself. Well, we had pretty much been through the whole place and Lily was finally starting to warm up to the animals. She was even walking holding our hands. One of the last areas on the trail is the bunny area. This area is enclosed but the bunnies are loose and you can go in and pet them and feed them. This whole "ranch" is in the woods and the bunny part is on hill with scattered large rocks. My mom and Lily went into the bunny area together to feed them and while they were in there Lily basically lost her balance and fell on her butt where she rolled down the hill slightly and was abruptly stopped by a large rock and her head meeting forcefully. I was watching and it did look like she hit pretty hard. She, of course started crying and my mom picked her up comforted her and brought her to me where I held her and tried to calm her down. A guy who had seen it happen yelled to us, "her head is bleeding." This shocked me because I was no expecting her to have a cut. Sure enough when I looked at the back of her head her hair was all matted with blood. After stopping at an urgent care center that turned us away because she was too little and the finally ending up at an Egleston Urgent Care center about 30 minutes away Lily was fixed up with 3 stitches, 2 stickers and a popsicle. The gash in her head thankfully did not bleed for long on the way to urgent care and she stopped crying about 5-10 minutes after she fell. She was not really happy about being pinned down on her belly wrapped in a bedsheet to keep her from flailing her arms but she did very well getting the stitches. I hope that this isn't the beginning of a myriad of ER visits and injuries in her future. But for now I must say that I have one tough little girl with a nice scar to show for it!

The Ugly: I will be posting a picture of the battle wound with the Yellow River Game Ranch here......(hopefully tomorrow)

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Potty training with a newborn is hard, but don't be scared! Don't force it. If you need some tips or want to learn from my mistakes, then shoot me an email! LOL! POOR Lily!!! What a day for you guys! I've been wanting to take D there, but this changed my mind!!!